
by Leonid Afremov
There's a couple of things that I just cannot stand about some people. One in particular is how people destroy the spines of their books by leaving them open upside down on a table. I don't really know why this irks me so much? It just does. A lot.
I'd like to share a favorite author of mine that my mom had shared with me when I finally started to appreciate reading in my early teenage years. His name is Arturo Perez-Reverte, an author from Spain, and apparently has a great translator. Here's a bit of prose from the first book I read of his, called The Flanders Panel:
She'd lost all notion of time, feeling the music drift slowly through her brain with the fumes from the vodka and conscious of the warmth of her bare thighs and knees against her arms. Sometimes a trumpet note would rise up amongst the shadows and she would move her head slowly from side to side, following the rhythm. Ah, trumpet, I love you. Tonight, you are my one companion, faint and nostalgic as the sadness seeping from my soul.
Perez-Reverte writes very clever mysteries, and beautifully. He has a way with words. This particular book is about an art restorer named Julia who is forced to grapple with fifteenth century paintings and chess in order to solve murders from the past and present.
Lastly, I've taken several more photos with my camera with some flowers I bought from the market. It's still winter and nothing's growing!


Or check them and others out larger on my DeviantART.
3 comments:
yay another book to add to my list!
aw, cool. Thanks for the info on this author. If only I could read books in its first language, like this French Canadian book that was so deep, yet such a small book based on the French Candian movie..la belle bete or the beautiful beast.
volunteering at the lib. I see all sorts of things people do to do books, bathing with them, smoking their ashes into the pages...and of course, children and animals chewing on them.
sorry..but very cool header, too.
Post a Comment