2.15.2010

Over and out.


by Seth Fitts

In order to be considered for medical school, I need to bring my GPA up only 0.031 points. How ridiculous is that? Well it means I need to get some A's, which means that I need to focus more on school and less on work, since I haven't gotten an A ever since I've been working and schooling at the same time.

The other day I had my two weeks' notice in my pocket when my manager suggested to me to ask the store manager about limited part time before throwing in the towel. Long story short, I'll now be working 12 hours per week on Saturdays and Sundays alone instead of at least 25 hours per week for any five days a week. This way, I'll have much more time to study and won't have to stress about scheduling time for when I can work on my homework. Horray! And then, once I graduate in December, I won't know when I start medical school if I manage to get in somewhere and so I'll at least have this job still there for me in these harsh economic times.

I was commissioned recently to draw a portrait of this man's wife who found out from my mom that I draw since they both work together. I haven't gotten a photo of her quite yet, but I hear that she is a black woman. That's something I've never done before--drawn a black woman--and I realize that yes, there will just be more shading. I really prefer to have the least amount of shading possible when drawing portraits, because if I don't then I'll have to worry about the striations the pencil makes when shading, etc. Who knows how it'll turn out. We shall see.

The park had a few flowers sprouting up in places, so I dragged my brother along with me after grabbing some Jamba Juice. I got a couple of nice photographs.


5 comments:

Lizzie said...

That GPA thing is quite ridiculous. I would probably be crying out for mercy.

I'm glad you figured out a suitable schedule for work vs. school. Less stress = well, less stress.

Best of luck on your portrait. You can do it! :D

Kait said...

The tea you suggested sounds delicious!

GPAs give me knots in my stomach. I feel a lot of pressure to keep mine perfect for my dad. You can do it babe!

I'm glad you were able to work it out with your job so you can still make a little moolah while taking the education realm by storm : )

Oh and I am going to look for that author you highlighted in your last post. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your situation. :\ Hopefully just focusing on schooling helps work your quirks out.

Best!
Aren

barleyforbrains said...

good luck with your GPA. studying seems less and less appealing as i grow older.

Scarlett said...

GPA's are annoying. period.

i'm glad you'll be able to earn cash and focus on school at the same time. success!

good luck on the portrait. i know it'll turn out awesome. it's a duh kind of thing. :)