5.30.2010

AngstAngstAngstAngst.

Bad luck was following me around a bunch this morning. There's two settings on my alarm clock, and I apparently set the wrong one, so when my mom opened my door at 4:39 AM asking me when I planned on getting up for my 5:10 AM shift, you can imagine my cursing, however minimal. I materialized into my clothes in an instant and ran off, so I didn't get to eat breakfast. I went 76 mph on the freeway so I got to work on time, but I was a minute late because I grabbed a tag swipe whose barcode was deteriorated and had to fetch another one. Then once I was in my department, I realized I left my work hat in my locker and had to endure four hours of a hair net with no hat--something that's really annoying. Then water spills everywhere, I'm all grumpy, blah blah blah.

At that moment I felt like I was being punished or something. Like betraying my word. Why would I think that? Because I said yes to going to a movie with Granma last night. A movie that starts at 9:40 PM when I have to get up at 4:00 AM. And Granma, who invited me because someone bailed on their plans with him and he wanted to get out of the house. I need to learn to say no. I don't want to be second choice.

But he still wears the friendship bracelet I made him.

But that doesn't excuse anything.

Anyway. The next series of entries will consist of movie reviews. How exciting! I've had all of this time off that I thought I'd have some sort of movie-watching spree on Netflix forEVER. Because it's...fun...

The first section, this section, shall be dedicated to quirky indie flicks. Teehee. Which is... actually most of my list. Oh noes!

Visioneers
George Washington Winsterhammerman. Proudly pulls out his middle finger to his boss. Really though, in this futuristic dark comedy, this gesture is the company's trademark. A sign of respect and loyalty. Oh, and people are exploding from stress. Literally exploding.
Visioneers is supposed to be a dark comedy, but I don't remember laughing. In fact, I don't really remember anything about that movie, except how creepy and pathetic everything was. Although, in the screenwriter's defense, that was probably the intention. So, for intention's sake, this film gets a 4/5, but for watchability, it's a 2/5. If that makes any sense.

Teenage Dirtbag
Based on a true story! The typical write up of cheerleader Amber meets bad boy Thayer, however via a creative writing class in senior year. It's a drama. Almost a romantic drama. Still, it's a very interesting write up of relationships and Thayer's character is especially engaging. Watch to see why! Low budget, but recommended. 4/5

Tideland
Haven't seen this one in a looong time, but here goes. Jeliza-Rose is a little girl whose imagination and reality aren't very well defined for the viewer's sake. Incredibly dreamy and creepy and unusual, this film made me feel uncomfortable, sympathetic, and gave me the chills... feelings reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland or Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but with a lot more darkness. I'm really not quite sure how I feel about this one. 2.5/5

Wristcutters: A Love Story
Apparently there's an afterlife just for suicide victims. Everyone's got a story. Zia kills himself afer being dumped by his girlfriend. However, he later learns that his ex killed herself as well, and so he goes in search for her in this afterlife to get back together, meeting a couple of odd folks along the way.
This would have gotten a non-applaudable score if not for the ending. Which was pretty rad. So. 3/5

Special
Les Franken is bored and wants a little excitement, so he decides to participate in a drug experiment. That gives him super powers.
During this film, sometimes it's difficult to figure out what's happening and what's not... and the middle is pretty slow, but the ending is really phenomenal. At least I think so. You've got to have some kind of BANG ending. 4/5

Splinterheads

Justin gets conned by a cool carnie girl named Galaxy and ends up falling for her... but Galaxy's tough boyfriend is a bit much to handle. This movie's feeling is reminiscent of... perhaps Superbad? But more tasteful. Typical story, but entertaining. One of the funniest lines was one minute in where Justin randomly sings, "Tiiiniest ferris wheel in the land". Text doesn't do it justice--you just had to be there. 4/5

Hard Candy
Ellen Page plays Haley, a teenager who meets much older yet good looking Geoff online and they both decide to meet in person. Haley has her own motives, and we're guessing that Geoff's aren't all too innocent. But things are not as they seeeeem...
VERY creepy movie. Some parts are hard to watch, but the story is very captivating and hard to pull away from, even if it is disturbing. Really good ending, too. 4.5/5

Local Color
Based on a true story! Johnny, a *pretty cute* 18 year old, aspires to be an impressionistic painter and learns that one of his neighbors is world renowned Seroff, a bitter old alcoholic landscape impressionist who doesn't want any business with anyone. But Seroff eventually comes to an understanding with Johnny and takes him on as his apprentice. Sort of.
Sweet story of a simple relationship between a young man and an old man, a student and master. Not much of a plot, of course, but there are some mildly entertaining lines and a hilarious feud between classical and contemporary works of art. 4/5

Indie flicks on the list to view: Wake, Lola, The Rage in Lake Placid

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

I'm sorry you had such bad luck. I hope things get better.

It seems there's always a guy that makes a girl second guess. :/

I just watched the trailer for Hard Candy and I'm freaked. Don't think I could watch the whole movie. haha.

Scarlett said...

I love Hard Candy! Great movie!