9.18.2009

I'm no film critic, but here goes.

One thing worse than being sick is having to do homework while being sick. One thing worse than that is having to do a homework assignment that takes four hours to complete while being sick. Yeah. Go me.

Outside of that unpleasantness, I have watched a few movies recently.

Saint Ralph
This kid named Ralph is a rebellious kid at a Catholic school whose father is deceased and whose mother is in the hospital. In this story, Ralph attempts to rid himself of all of his sins and perform a task miraculous enough to bring his mother back to good health: win the prestegious Boston Marathon, despite his utter lack of a background in or previous desire for running.
I'll just say the story made me tear up a bit. That's something that's pretty consistent with me: I always tear up when I'm supposed to. Anyway, it's a recommendation those who have yet to see Saint Ralph. 4/5

Into The Wild
Alexander Supertramp named himself after casting away his identity as a college graduate in a publically happy family with internal secrets. He never spoke to them again, he gave his life savings to charity, burned his cash, ditched his car, and hitched rides all over the country in search of life experiences and adventure.


I love this movie. While it is rather slow in parts, this bildungsroman is incredibly inspirational and full of wisdom, love, peace, and beauty. A super recommendation. 4.5/5

The Pianist
This movie is so utterly brutal but very well done, about a famous Jewish pianist named Wladyslaw Szpilman in the midst of the Warsaw Ghetto of World War II and his struggle to survive.
Most of this movie consists of dead bodies, gun fights, and terrible injustices, so I wouldn't recommend this movie if you're terribly squeamish. However, if you can man it up, the story of this man's life is quite extraordinary. 4/5

Phoebe in Wonderland
A cute little girl named Phoebe is engrossed in her own world surrounding the story and characters of Alice in Wonderland and strives to do her best to get into the school play put on by her beloved drama teacher. However, her bahavioral problems at school and home worry her parents and other teachers enough for Phoebe to have sessions with a psychiatrist.
This movie is rather charming and offbeat, not utterly fantastic. 3/5

Cashback
A college art student breaks up with his girlfriend and thinks about her way too much, enough to turn him into an insomniac. To pass the time, he gets a night shift at a grocery store. The boredom is devastating, but he manages to come up with a way to make it more tolerable: he stops time entirely and draws portraits of women.


Very cool movie. It's totally unique and artsy, the relationships and characters are great, and the ending is cereally super duper. 5/5

Keith

This movie actually stars Jesse McCartney of all people, but he actually does a pretty good job at acting on top of his singing career. Keith is a socially awkward kid who is paired up in chem lab with a super popular girl Natalie. She thinks she's got it all figured out until Keith shows her a different way of thinking about life and the future, and she ends up falling for him while her past life as a popular, smart, pretty, and athletically talented girl goes down the drain.


I fargin' love this movie to no end. I'm sort of a sucker for teenage romances, first loves, tragedies, and awkward boys, but the story itself, especially towards the end, is bloody amazing. One of the last scenes at the bus station? Pull out that tissue box, man. 5/5

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Yeah, I know! I only just saw this movie, I'm so depressed. Took me so long. I'm not used to Jim Carrey being in a serious role, but he actually does it pretty well. This love story is so incredibly bizarre, and you don't really know what's going on with all these little snippets of their lives and experiences until the near end of the movie. But it's pretty cool. I only wish the execution of the movie could have been better, and I hate Kirsten Dunst, but I'll just have to get over that. 3.5/5

Okay, that's enough of that. Have a good day.
*snifflecoughsniffle*

4 comments:

Scarlett said...

I have tons of movies to check out :D Yay, for Netflix.
OH! I saw Amélie, and I understand why it's in your top 3. I love the movie. Another fantastic French movie Audrey Tautou is in is Happenstance. Ohmygosh, it's fantastic. I like it a bit better than Amélie. And you can watch it instantly on Netflix.

Lizzie said...

Thanks for the reviews. I'm inspired to watch Keith, now.

Long time-ish, no talk. How are things?

Lizzie said...

aww, that sucks. Apparently ten people at my school tested positive for swine flu and I'm really hoping they've done the wise thing and stayed home. Hopefully yours isn't that bad. Feel better, dear!

Yeah, I jinx myself a lot, too. I'm very superstitious.

SaraJ said...

oh I so want to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And also; can´t wait for "where the wild things are". I bet its amazing.